Surgery Frequently Asked Questions
Points to remember about surgery
The Surgery Center opens at 6 a.m. We encourage our patients to arrive one (1) hour before their scheduled time unless your surgery is schedule for 7 a.m. or directed to do otherwise by your physician.
If your physical condition changes (cold or fever), notify your physician as soon as possible.
Please follow your physician's specific instruction related to preparing for surgery.
Following general anesthesia or sedation, you MUST NOT DRIVE. You mush arrange to have transportation and to have responsible adult accompany you at the time of discharge. Please note that your surgery may be cancelled if arrangements have not been made for a ride home and for someone to stay with you.
A pre-admission nurse and registration clerk will attempt to call you one or two days prior to surgery. They will request information to ensure proper billing. Payment of co-pays/deductible is expected on the day of surgery. Please note that your surgeon, anesthesiologist, radiologist/pathologist will bill separately.
If the patient is under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must sign the consent forms before treatment can begin and should remain at the Center for the entire visit. If applicable, please bring proof of guardianship or Medical Power of Attorney.
Preparing for Surgery
- Bring a written list of the names and dosages of your current medications. Do not forget to list your medication allergies.
- Take a bath or shower the morning of surgery. Please wear loose fitting clothes for you comfort.
- Bring your health insurance card.
- Bring your medical directive/living will. A copy will be made and placed in your medical record.
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water, coffee, gum, candy and mints) before your surgery unless otherwise directed by your physician.
- Do not wear cosmetics, jewelry, or contact lenses. Bring a protective case of glasses.
Other than your co-pay or deductible, do not bring money,credit cards, jewelry or valuables.
Going home after your surgery
You must arrange to have a responsible person drive you to and from the Surgery Center on the day of your surgery.
Please make arrangements for someone to stay with you at least 24 hours unless your physician requires a longer time.